Sunday, September 18

Shannon's Borscht

Being a Ukrainian, I often find myself face to face with a bowl of borscht.  Some good.  Some bad.  Over the last few years, I have tried a few people's borscht recipes and have come to the conclusion that other people's borcht contains either (1) too much hoofs or hocks or (2) not enough beets.  After a couple tries, and very careful documentation, I am proud to present you with the recipe to what I think is the perfect, clear, pink, vegetable loaded borscht.   Todd even lost his borscht virginity last night and ate a whole bowl!

Thanks to Erin & Boy Shannon for all their help sharing part of their crop this year too!!


Shannon's Borscht
Ingredients:
2 cups good quality chicken broth
6 cups water
1 796ml can diced tomatoes
4 cups sliced, cubed or julienned beets - dealers choice - I like big juliens but was told last night they are "too big" whatevs, they do not have the same love of beets as I do!
2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
handful of chopped dill, or as much as you like
2 cups green beans, chopped about 1 inch pieces
1 cup thinly sliced beet tops
2 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp rock salt
ground pepper to taste, plus about 10 whole pepper corns
2-3 bay leaves
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes*  only if you like it spicy - this is a super flavourful soup on it's own, though some people like a bit of tang to it - up to you!!

Method:

Ukrainian mise en place

Put all ingredients into a large stock pot.  Bring to boil on high.  Drop heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.

We did three huge pots full last night!
Serve with a dollop of sour cream (full fat!) or a drizzle of heavy cream, and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh dill.  This soup freezes awesomely, so it's nice to split up into little containers and shove into the deep freeze (or temporarily overnight in your Ukrainian fridge, AKA outside on the back deck!)

Enough for everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Hello! I extended The Versatile Blogger award to you today. Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know. I enjoy your recipes!!

    Lisa Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, I've been faced with many new food experiences but never borscht. I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had borscht before, but I absolutely love beets! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A work of art! I've had a few variations of borscht but certainly none like this. A veritable stew full of delectables! Especially the beets. (Love your reference to the Ukranian fridge.) I'm filing this away for the next time I need a deep winter comfort food -- and I will!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Borscht is one of those foods that when it is good it is very, very good and when it's bad it's awful. Yours looks really nice...especially like that it's clear, as opposed to to some which get to creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never put green beans in mine, will try.
    Great sounding recipe.
    LL

    ReplyDelete