Friday, January 20

Banana Nut Pancakes

It's Friday!  And I'm off work today because Nick's hockey tournament is this weekend and I am one of the volunteer parents on the organizing committee!  Yeeha!  It's been a fun road, but I can't say I'm sad to see this journey end on Sunday - lots o' work for the mommas and the daddies!!

Since I don't have to rush to get to work, I thought I would whip up a variation of a pancake recipe that was published in the January Self Magazine and have them ready in the freezer for easy quick breakfasts on the go!  These are really hearty and dense, so you only need a couple to power you up for a morning at the rink!!  Enjoy and have a good weekend!



Banana Nut Pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup crushed pecans
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 medium bananas
1 cup almond milk
1 egg
1 tsp almond extract
cooking spray



Method:
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.



In another bowl, mash one of the bananas and combine with the almond milk, egg and almond extract. 



Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until smooth.  Slice the remaining banana and fold into the batter.



Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray.  Measure 1/4 cup of the batter and spoon into the skillet - flatten it out a bit b/c this batter is pretty thick so doesn't really ooze out like normal batter would.  Cook your pancakes for about 3 minutes per side, until nice and golden.  I flattened them out more when I flipped them too.


Makes about 9, so enjoy a couple now, then freeze for later!!   They are really nutty and sweet, the almond extract gives them almost a cookie taste - so delish!

6 comments:

  1. Yumm! I love pancakes :)I am going to make these for sure. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey I totally thought of you this morning b/c I have read some of your pancake posts!!! I'm getting excited for Scotties - can't wait!!!

      Delete
  2. I love banana anything, and I am crazy about pancakes. I couldn't imagine a more delicious b-fast! I love that you used almond milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a nice mother to make pancakes on your day off! They look delicious. I hope the hockey tournament goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I adore banana pancakes, I bet the nuts make them even better :) Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete