Tuesday, January 24

Chicken Fried Quinoa!

Chicken Fried Quinoa!  It's not what you think!  Or what I thought when I originally skimmed thru my trusty Quinoa 365: The Everyday Superfood... I was thinking it was some crazy variation on what Americans seem to enjoy "chicken fried anything!" For example, I have never had a chicken fried steak, but I think I would like to try it one day - can someone tell me - is it just like a veal cutlet but with a steak inside instead of a little veal?  Curious.

Anyways, Chicken Fried Quinoa, as described on page 89 of my fave cookbook, is actually a variation of Chicken Fried RICE - duh, why didn't I clue in earlier???  Anyways, there is a lot of prep-work and chopping with this one, but totally worth it!!  So great, and Todd said "I would definitely want to eat this again. You should cook this again" so I guess that means it was a hit.  The texture is a bit different from the originial (more moist) but the flavours are great.  You could totally play around with the vegetables, add more, add less, some little shrimps, some tofu, maybe some cashews?  Bust it out b/c this is a gooder.  Here's my take (here's a first btw, I only changed ONE ingredient!!)


Chicken Fried Quinoa (from the cookbook Quinoa 365)
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup chicken broth
2/3 cup quinoa
non-stick cooking spray
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tbsp sesame oil
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into tiny cubes
1 clove garlic, minced
3 ribs celery, diced
1 red pepper, diced
3/4 cup frozen peas
3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce

Method:
Get the quinoa going: combine chicken broth & quinoa, bring to a boil.  Lower heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat, but keep the pot on the burner for another 6 minutes.  Remove from burner and fluff with a fork - set aside.

While all this quinoa action is going on, do all your chopping prep.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and coat with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour in the beaten eggs and swirl in the pan - cook like you're making a giant pancake.  I didn't think this was going to work out because I am the worst at omelettes - but guess what?  It totally worked!  So once it's set, flip and cook for another minute and a half - remove to a plate or cutting board and cut into thin slices.


I did it!!!!
I just rolled it up and sliced away
In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of the sesame oil over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and garlic, and cook until browned.  Remove from pan and set aside.


Heat the last tbsp of sesame oil and saute celery for about 4 minutes.  Add the red pepper and peas and cook through, for about another 3 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.


Add the quinoa, green onions and soy sauce.  Fold in the fried egg ribbons and chicken and cook just to heat through. 


Finito!  Serve right away!!!

8 comments:

  1. I love fried Quinoa :) I always add pineapple too, its my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never tried this! such a cool sub!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, everyone is posting quinoa dishes today! I am sooo curious to try it, I've liked most other grains, but haven't had an opportunity to try this one. Looks like a very tasty dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good! I definitely didn't realize that this was a version of Chicken Fried Rice either though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made something very similar to this last night, but wow your little egg omelette blows my sad scrambled eggs out of the water! Nicely done. Mine needed a little something more, and I bet the addition of sesame oil would have done it. Why didn't I think of that? Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. be sure to check out my blog today on mymothersdaughter.net, you are featured!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful its a very good recipes to make delicious food thanks for information

    ReplyDelete