Sunday, February 19

Bacon & Sage Mini Pizzas

I forgot to post our Valentine's dinner!  I just made heart-shaped pizzas for the boys; simple Hawaiian for Nick and then I made Bacon & Sage pizzas for Todd and I - they turned out delicious!!  Since I had to work all day on the 14th, I used store-bought pizza dough - yep, the kind that comes in a TUBE!! LOL I've never used that stuff before and it tastes pretty good, but it rises a lot, so skip this product if you are into thin crust...  anyways, check out what I put together for the pizzas:


Bacon & Sage Mini Pizzas
Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
about 8-12 large sage leaves
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 pieces regular bacon, remove the really fatty parts
pizza crusts
tomato basil sauce
4 medium bocconcini balls

Method:
In a medium sized frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add the sage leaves and a sprig of rosemary and cook until fragrant.  You'll notice that the sage leaves pretty much soak up all of that butter.


Chop the bacon and add to the pan and cook until crisp.  The sage will end up looking crinkled, black and overall pretty unappealing - it crumbles like paper, so use as much or as little as you want to top the pizza - the flavour will have already infused the bacon and remaining fat.


Using prepared pizza crusts, top with pizza sauce.  Sprinkle with the bacon and crumbled sage leaves - also drizzle the bacon fat on your pizzas too, if you are feeling like a rebel.


Using your fingers, gently tear up the bocconcini balls and spread out on the pizzas.




Bake in a 400degree oven for about 8 minutes, or until bubbly.


This was such a winning flavour combo - would be great as a topping on tiny pitas or bite-sized pizza crusts for appetizers at a party. 

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I've never used Sage on pizza before. I'll definitely have to give that a try. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, look at that sage and rosemary :) What a wonderful looking pizza!

    ReplyDelete