Saturday, February 4

Western Frittata

Even though Todd is clearly the reigning breakfast champion in this household, occasionally I bust out an egg creation - they usually end up with a "south of the border" type flavour though!  (And I actually mean south of my south of the border, AKA Mexico, not USA).  I digress.

Check out this morning's creation - I think you could make a few of these, slice up and store them in the fridge for some quick breakfasts on the go.  Anyways, check out my recipe:



Western Frittata
Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup green pepper, chopped
2 slices deli ham, chopped
2 large eggs + 1/4 cup egg white substitute
2 tbsp salsa
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup cilantro, coursely chopped
sea salt
optional: handful of black tortilla chips, crumbled

Method:
Preheat oven to 400degrees.  Heat the olive oil in a small ovenproof skilled over medium heat.  Cook the onion, pepper & ham for about 5 - 6 minutes.


In a bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites & salsa.  Slowly add the egg mixture to the skillet.


With a spatula, draw down the edges of the egg so that the liquid centre oozes to the sides, and helps to create a thicker edging.  I don't know how to explain this.  Just keep doing it for about 5 minutes until it is set up pretty good and the centre is still a bit runny.

see how its running to the edges?
Shove that skillet in the oven for about 4 - 5 minutes until the centre is no longer runny.  Then turn on the broiler to get a nice golden top - watch it for about 1 or 2 minutes (depends on your broiler I guess).


Next, grab a plate and cover the top of the skillet; invert the skillet & voila! You have a frittata!  Top with a pinch of sea salt, and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and cilantro.


I served mine on top of a bed of crumbled tortillas (because I like when the chips go soggy) but that was maybe a bit too funky for Todd - he just ate his frittata normal.

this is the way I like it!!

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful recipe. I bookmarked it to make later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, this looks like a perfect breakfast! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your western fritatta recipe looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds completely wonderful and filling :)

    ReplyDelete