Friday, March 2

Lasagna Soup!

OK I have been stricken by some disgusting influenza/cold/disease/nightmare for the last 4 days and I am about at my wit's end!  Not even the Witches Brew is doing it because this thing is so full-blown!!

I was able to squeak out one dinner for the boys this week, but they've pretty much been on their own and eating left-overs each night, while I wither away in my bed (can you detect a hint of "I'm-feeling-sorry-for-myself-and-am-looking-for-sympathy"?) Yah, well, here's the recipe - I didn't take any pictures while cooking because it seemed to take too much energy, but I did manage some pictures at the end.  The recipe is an adaptation from a Paula Deen recipe (my changes are in italics) I ended up adding more broth and less tomoatoes and less noodles b/c I wanted this to be a real soup, Anyways, it's super nom nom - it actually tastes better the next day, and even the day after that - and it was still like soup on day 3 - the noodles didn't suck up all the juice! Maybe it tastes better after a couple days just because I'm getting my taste buds back?  No, that can't be it... 


Lasagna Soup (adapted from Paula Deen's "Tastes Like Lasagna Soup")
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp Italian seasoning spice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp packed brown sugar
5 cups chicken broth
1 large can flavored diced tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into little bits
1-2 cups grated mozzarella

Method:
In a large stock pot, get the beef, onion, garlic and red pepper going.  Cook for about 8-10 minutes over medium-high heat, breaking up the beef with the back of a wooden spoon.  Drain well and return to burner.  Add the seasonings and brown sugar and cook for another 5-6 minutes.

Add the broth, tomotoes and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer over low heat.  I let this go on for about 45 minutes just to allow the beef to break down even more and for all the flavours go. 

About 30 minutes before serving, add the noodles and cook until soft.  Preheat the oven to 425degrees.


Ladel the soup into oven safe bowls and garnish with the cheese.  Bake for about 10 minutes, then broil on high for another 2 minutes, until you get a nice bubbly golden top.


So great - it still tastes exactly like lasagna but isn't as heavy!! 

2 comments:

  1. YUMMMMM - this looks amazing!!! And what a great idea! Thanks for sharing - have a great weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! I made a lasagna soup from Pinterest awhile back and it was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete