Friday, March 9

Wasabi Salmon with Asian Flavoured Citrus Quinoa Salad

Today my love came home from nearly a week in Arizona without me.  I'm not going to lie and say I didn't enjoy having the place to myself, but I sure did miss him while he was gone!!  After catching up and checking out all the prezzies he brought back, I cooked up a quick healthy meal for us:


Wasabi Salmon with Asian Flavoured Citrus Quinoa Salad
Salmon Ingredients:
2 salmon filets
1 clove garlic
1 1" piece of ginger, grated
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp wasabi paste
olive oil


Quinoa Salad Ingredients:
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cup water
1 red pepper, chopped into about 1cm pieces
1 mango, peeled and chopped into about 1cm pieces
1 large shallot, chopped finely
3 ribs celery, chopped finely
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1" piece fresh ginger, finely grated
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp agave nectar
1/4 tsp orange zest


Method:
Get your quinoa going in the usual way; bring quinoa and water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Remove from heat, take lid off and fluff with fork. 

Make the wasabi mayo by combining the mayonnaise, wasabi paste, ginger and garlic.  Set aside.

Preheat oven to 450degrees.  Heat your baking dish in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Rub the garlic, ginger, salt & pepper into the salmon filets.  Place in the pre-heated baking dish and drizzle with olive oil.  Bake for 15 minutes.


What the fish is baking, chop your veg and make your vinagrette.  Combine with the cooled quinoa and vinagrette.  Set aside.


When the fish comes out of the oven, plate your dinner: a big scoop of the quinoa salad, place the salmon filet on top and then top with a dollop of the wasabi mayo.  All the flavours together: NOM.


4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I'm a huge fan of Asian flavors. To be honest, I've never tried quinoa. In fact, it was only earlier this year that I even learned of it's existence. Maybe this recipe will be the one that pops my quinoa cherry.

    One question though, how spicy is the wasabi mayo? I personally love extreme heat, but my wife is not on that same same page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's not that spicy, but what you could do is scale the wasabi down to 1/2 tsp for the main recipe, then add more to yours. I used to HATE quinoa until last year, now I've been cooking with it so often - you just have to add lots of great flavours to it!!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! Love the wasabi on top =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore wasabi with salmon, and what an interesting thought to pair it with quinoa :) Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete