Tuesday, May 8

Fig & Walnut Fibre Bars

I love food mags of any kind and I spied a new one last week called Fresh Juice and it's available at the Real Canadian Superstores... I do think that there are just enough carefully placed pro-Superstore/Loblaws ads that it should actually be free with purchase, but whatevs - I spent $2.99 on it and I'm okay with that. 

Anyways, they have a ton of amazing recipes, and I adapted one of them for squares called "Super Dominoes" - I swapped out a few of the ingredients and re-named the recipe to something that made a bit more sense ;)


Fig & Walnut Fibre Bars
Ingredients:
1lb dried figs, chopped
2 eggs
2/3 cup fancy molasses
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
pinch salt
1 1/2 whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup flax seeds
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts


Method:
Preheat oven to 375degrees and line a 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper.  Soak figs in 1/2 cup boiling water - set aside for about 30 minutes while you get everything ready.



In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, molasses, margarine, agave, ginger and spices. 


In another bowl, sift together all of the dried ingredients.   Add dry to the wet ingredients and stir until moistened.


Fold in the figs (and liquid) and the walnuts.  *What I would change here is that I would pulse the figs and liquid in the mini food processor before adding to the batter only because it was too chunky/crunchy for my liking - I would almost describe the fig seeds as "ant-like" in texture

Spread into the pan and bake for 40 minutes. 


Let cool completely and then cut into bars.  Seal in an air-tight container and/or freeze for a quick snack. 


No comments:

Post a Comment