Sunday, July 10

Just a typical Sunday...

Since the sun refused to come out in Red Deer today, I decided to get busy in the kitchen.  I made 6 dozen chocolate surprise mini-muffins; huge batch of salsa, lemon-meringue pie FROM SCRATCH! and then ginger flavoured salmon with a balsamic reduction and arugula-corn salad.

Salmon with balsamic reduction, and wasabi arugula & corn salad - recipe from this month's Food & Wine magazine
 Not to mention, I started the morning by cooking up a batch of Gwyneth's good morning pancakes - ummm, not a great recipe - if you try it out, be prepared to add at least another cup of a flour - any flour of your choice - lol - if you read her cookbook, you will know what I mean!

So today I share the recipe for the Chocolate Surprise Mini-Muffins...

Ingredients:
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Fry's Cocoa
1 cup oatmeal, run thru a food processor
1tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups packed fresh spinach, washed
1 medium apple, cored
1 medium ripe peach or nectarine, pit removed
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup grapeseed oil or canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup agave nectar (OR ditch agave and use 1 cup honey OR vice versa)
2 eggs


Mountain of muffins!

Method:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together all dry ingredients.
Chop the spinach and fruit in the food processor until you get a nice green mush - smells delicious!  Add the rest of the wet ingredients and blend in the food processor.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients; mix to moisten.  Grease up your mini muffin tins - bake about 16-18 mins - check with toothpick - if it comes out clean, you're done!  Let cool on a rack.
These freeze awesome and are a quick little treat. 
Makes about 6 dozen mini muffins :)

3 comments:

  1. That salmon recipe looks great--I'll have to look it up in my Food and Wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those are some very surprising wet ingredients! I'd be super curious to taste these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I've snuck spinach into muffins before too! And I also I ended up having to make them cocoa chocolate muffins to mask the green color. But your recipe looks great! I'll have to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete