Saturday, July 9

Lazy Saturday....

Too many pints of Strongbow at the Dueling Pianos event last night equals a lazy day for me and Hot Toddy today.  Luckily, Todd got up early and made us his classic paleo breakfast: fried egg whites, bacon and grapefruit, and I flipped through the new Gwyneth Paltrow cookbook My Father's Daughter: Delicious Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness. Looks like I am going to need to stock up on spelt flour and vegonaise! 

Anyways, I wanted to share my lunch with you; an adaptation of a Martha Stewart Recipe for Soba Soup with Spinach.  I switched it up a little, but here is is:

Shannon's Soba Soup with Spinach, Brocolli & Japanese Mushrooms (the bolded ingredients are the ones I changed or added)

2 tbsp vegetable oil
12 ounces dry shiitake mushrooms (pour one cup of boiling water and allow to "steep" for about 30 minutes - keep that mushroom water!)
1 pkg enoki mushrooms
1 cup bite-sized brocolli crowns
4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
course salt
2 cups sodium reduced beef broth
1/4 pkg soba noodles
2 cups spinach leaves, torn
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1-2 tbsp soy sauce


1.  In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium.  Add shititaki and enoki mushrooms, brocolli, scallion whites, garlic, and ginger; season with salt.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender, 6 minutes. 

2.  Add beef broth, reserved mushroom stock and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Add soba; reduce to a simmer and cook 4 minutes.  Add spinach; cook just until tender, about 1 minute.  Add lime juice and soy sauce.  Serve topped with scallion greens.


Deeeelicious - original recipe was supposed to have chicken broth, but I thought beef broth would taste better against those woodsy shiitakes! I also doubled the garlic, but as you will get to learn on this blog, if it doesn't have mega volumes of garlic, it's probably not going to fly in my kitchen!!  

Not sure if I would add the lime again either... but it was a hit none-the-less.  If you're cooking for 2, I would recommend only using one little bundle of the soba; cooking for a crowd, then use 2 bundles.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment