Sunday, August 21

Stuffed Buffalo Burgers & Sweet Potato Chips!

On a hot day, there is nothing better than a bbq'd burger!  And for a healthier version, I decided to whip up a batch of my delicious buffalo burgers... and then negate that healthy choice by frying (yes FRYING!) a big batch of sweet potato chips.

(...amazing!  also, remember those zucchini pickles?)
Ingredients:
1lb ground buffalo (I got mine from Shrum's Meats at the RD Farmer's Market)
3/4 cup oatmeal, pulsed thru the food processor
1/2 sweet onion
3 cloves garlic
1tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1tbsp hot sauce (Louisiana, Frank's, Tabasco, whatever ya got)
fresh ground salt & pepper
4 slices gouda or any one of your fave cheeses
4 grainy buns & burger fixins

the goods
Method:
First pulse the oatmeal and add to a big bowl.  Next, add all of the other ingredients EXCEPT the bison, to the processor and puree.  If you don't have a food processor, then use your box grater for that onion b/c you will want it practically liquified.  Add the goo to the bowl with the oatmeal and blend.  Add the buffalo.  Mix well (don't forget to take your rings off!!)  Divide the meat mixture into 4 equal parts, have your cheese ready.  With each portion, make 2 skinny patties, adding your cheese in the middle and then flattening the 2 patties into a normal size patty.  It's not that complicated, just my instructions suck!!

Grill as normal on medium high - though watch your back because there is not a lot of fat, so you will want to get a good sear on before flipping that first time!

THE CHIPS!
Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and washed and then sliced thin on a mandolin
lots of canola oil
lots of fresh ground sea salt


Method:
Fill your frying pan about 1/2 inch deep oil.  Heat on med-high till the oil has tiny bubbles - TINY not boiling.  Add a layer of chips - don't over crowd your pan.  In batches, cook the chips till golden and slightly puffy - you'll know when you see.  Transfer to a cookie sheet that has been lined with paper towels.  Salt and let cool.  Transfer to a metal bowl.  Keep cooking those chips and be careful - keep the temp on med-high (it's a 7 on my crap stove).
Be careful!
Delicious end result!  And cheap to make!
One day I'll try to make some beet chips!  Enjoy this delicious bbq and let me know if you like the flavors - if you're not into spicy, you could switch out the hot sauce for dijon mustard.

8 comments:

  1. Those chips look yummy! I wish I could have a bite...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mandoline and I are not friends. I need to develop your smooth technique. The burger looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a mild panic attack every time I use it and make my husband wash it after every use too. I have a really good one http://www.amazon.ca/OXO-Good-Grips-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B0000DAQ8B which actually seems to be on a wicked deal right now at amazon.ca - I bought it from a local kitchen store and paid the $100 price - blarg.

      Delete
  3. I am so hungover right now and this looks soooooooooooooooo good. I want. so bad. Great post anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg hahahaha eat a banana and have some gatorade!

      Delete
  4. Mmmmmm! I love buffalo! And sweet potato chips sound amazing. I've had them as fries (YUM), so this looks like a total winner!

    ReplyDelete